How can we help you today?
- Open up the redirects template (Documentation > 301 Redirects on the local server).
- Copy the URLs from the urlist.txt that you got from the sitemaps.
- Paste them into the template on the left side between “RewriteEngine On” and “# End 301 Redirects”.
- Now find the appropriate pairing on the new site and paste that URL in the New URL column. For example: https://example.com/about/ -> https://example.com/about-us/. (If no suitable replacement exists then redirect to the closest parent page or the home page).
- Once the right column is complete, select the urls in the left column and run a search and replace. Search for the url and change to “Redirect 301 ” with a space after a the 1. For example: https://example.com/about/ becomes Redirect 301 /about/.
- Now copy both columns starting with #Begin 301 Redirects and ending with #End 301 Redirects and paste this into the .htaccess file.
- Make sure there is only one space between the redirects in the .htaccess file (copying and pasting often adds multiple spaces here).
For example: You might see Redirect 301 /about/ https://example.com/about-us/ after pasting. You need to make sure the space after …/about/ is just one space before http… starts.
- Do not redirect the home page to the home page or you will create a loop.